Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Published by MTV Books and Pocket Books; February 1, 1999
Paperback, 213 pages
Borrowed from library

Narrated as 1991 diary/letters by depressed first-year high schooler Charlie, counselled for fighting bully and for lost trauma memory  seven when "best friend" Aunt Helen died. Sister has secret abortion, he drives. Girl Sam drives pickup truck through tunnel for restorative screaming, standing like in film Titanic, gently awakens his virginal romantic dreams and body, shares drugs and Rocky Horror Picture Show. After pal Michael suicides, awake but non-responsive Charlie hospitalized, and horrifying memory surfaces for his restoration to health.


- Description from Goodreads.com




I am so glad I finally read this book! And of all places to get it, I got it in a library! Like, WHAT??? The line for this book is like 1000000 people long! 

I really liked this book. I didn't love it but that doesn't mean it's not good because it so was! I think it might have something to do with my age and who I am. I don't usually read deep books like these and so it's a bit of a weird situation when I do. I know there are so many things I missed that were BEYOND the plot and I know that it would take a reread to get everything. 

I found it really interesting that I didn't know who Charlie was at all. I mean, his sister was known to me as Sister and his brother, Brother. At first, I found that kind of weird and thought it would be really annoying to read but it totally wasn't! There was just so much other stuff that was going on that had me really focused on that. 

Charlie is so adorable! I really related to him while I read the book. Of course, I didn't go through all the stuff that he did but everyone can understand what it feels like to be sad and feel alone. I'm really glad for Sam and Patrick, though. They were so amazing to Charlie and I think they made it OK for me to not know exactly what happens to Charlie. In most books, the ending ending is fairly obvious to guess but in this book, it was left open which I hate but frankly, didn't mind MUCH in this book.

My review is solely based on my first impression. Since I read this quite long ago, I don't exactly remember everything. I know the book is so much more than what I wrote but to be honest, it would take me a couple of rereads to get everything that the book is about. If you're not sure still, I say read it! So many people have read it and loved it so it can't be that bad, right? And it's only 200ish pages long!!!

Definitely a book to read...it's like a modern classic! You just have to!

Love, Annie

No comments :

Post a Comment