Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Published by Speak; June 16, 2009
Paperback, 383 pages
Borrowed from library

Up all night.

Nights have always been Auden's time, her chance to escape everything that's going on around her.

Then she meets Eli, a fellow insomniac, and he becomes her nocturnal tour guide.

Now, with an endless supply of summer nights between them, almost anything can happen...


- Description from Goodreads.com



Sarah Dessen seems to have stumbled upon the magic formula. Because here is yet another story about a girl and a boy, family issues, and friendships. Same old, same old right? Wrong. Ms. Dessen knows her audience and whips up a new story different enough to mask the underlying similarities. 

It's Auden's summer before college and her father and his new wife have invited her over to their home in Colby. Tired of her life with her mother, Auden agrees. 

The story itself is pretty unspectacular. Just another tale of the budding romance between a boy and a girl. So what sets Along for the Ride apart is not the romance, but the interesting family dynamic. Auden's family is certainly complicated and I enjoyed reading about Auden's interactions with her family. 

On the subject of family, my favourite character in this book by far was Heidi, Auden's stepmother. She was nurturing and hard-working and geez, if there's any female character in a Dessen you should idolize, it's Heidi. I absolutely loved her.

The rest of the characters did not shine for me as much. It almost felt like they were one and the same. And Eli especially. He came off a bit one-dimensional unfortunately. As for Auden, I think it's fair to say she isn't my favourite Dessen protagonist.

The story moved along rather slowly as well and a lot of bits and pieces didn't seem to be at all significant to the overall plot. In the end, it got very confusing and muddled. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to zoom in on Eli and Auden or her family or Auden's character development.

Along for the Ride is nowhere near my favourite Dessen but the familiar writing makes me feel warm and cozy in a way that makes me want to keep on reading. As usual.

16 comments :

  1. Yeah, Auden wasn't exactly my favorite either but she got a bit better later on. It's a good summer read, I think. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally! Colby gives off all kinds of summer vibes, perfect for when you're nearing summer's end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like a lot of Dessen's books aren't actually all that, but they are just comforting. I think it's interesting that you ended up liking a side character more. I haven't read this one yet, but perhaps when I'm in the mood for a light contemporary! Wonderful review, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree that Sarah Dessen's books are all a bit similar. But I quite like them as quick reads! However, this does mean that they're not really that memorable, and hehe I can't remember anything about this book. Definitely time for a reread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this on my TBR and won't be getting to it that soon yet since I want to read all of Sarah Dessen's books in publication order haha but heard amazing things about Along for the Ride!


    I love that there's a lot of family in this book, family is a very important aspect of contemporaries and it's great when a book concentrates on that too.


    Great review Annie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are comforting! Whenever I need a pick me up, a Sarah Dessen would be the first thing I go to. Thanks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's true. All the Sarah Dessen books I've read have all muddled together and besides the characters, I can't remember anything else from it! :) But I wouldn't be averse to a reread especially when I can jump back into Colby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a smart idea! You'll be able to catch all the recurring characters! I agree that family is a very important aspect of contemporaries. I love it when there's a strong focus on the family!


    Thanks, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE a great contemporary romance, and I agree, Sarah Dessen does know her way around them, but I also have a really bad track record with finishing books where I don't like the protagonist, still worth a read you think?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally get what you're saying! I don't want to deter you from this book because you can never know if you like it or not until you try it but personally, this just wasn't my favourite. I did love the town of Colby but you can read about that too in her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How come I have never read a Sarah Dessen book before? Maybe it has to do with covers? Beach and light colors turn me off, big time. But EVERYONE seems to love her, and if I'm being honest, my shelf needs some light reads. Really glad you liked this one. Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I hope you do pick up a Sarah Dessen one day. They're light and fun but also packed with great characters and vivid settings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to agree with Jen in the comfort aspect of Dessen's books. I've only read 3 of her books, including Along for the Ride and I enjoyed them but I see the similar plots that you mentioned. Overall, I appreciate her but she isn't my favourite contemporary author. Great review :)

    -Mari @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would you get mad at me if I say I haven't really read much of Sarah Dessen? But there are always people syaing her books are great and important and have great relationships, so I would definitely be checking her out. Especially with another positive review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you enjoyed them! I wouldn't say Sarah is my favourite contemporary author either but her books certainly are great to cuddle up with! Thanks Mari! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I promise I won't get mad! But I do think you should try a Sarah Dessen like The Truth About Forever because that's always a great one to start with! I'll be waiting for you to finish one, Shanelle! :)

    ReplyDelete