Thursday, December 27, 2012

Are You Going to Kiss Me Now? by Sloane Tanen

Are You Going to Kiss Me Now? by Sloane Tanen
Published by Sourcebooks Fire; May 1, 2011
Paperback, 354 pages
Borrowed from library

Being marooned on an island somewhere off the coast of Madagascar with five celebrities sounds romantic and glamorous, right?
Wrong.

You couldn't find people with fewer survival skills if you tried. Seriously. Cisco may have centerfold abs, but he can't even spell SOS. At least super-sexy Jonah seems to have a clue (too bad about the purity ring). If I'm stuck here much longer, these self-involved head cases might drive me crazy-assuming they don't insult each other to death first. It's like a group therapy edition of Survivor.

At this point, I'm pretty convinced that all celebrities should be caged in Hollywood and confined to the pages of US magazine. And, btw, if you're there, God, it's me, Francesca, and I really want to go home.

Help!


- Description from Goodreads.com



Well, first thing you should know, I didn't REALLY like this book. No. Not really.

At the beginning, it wasn't very interesting, to me, at least. It wasn't a slow beginning but it just did not intrigue me and I had some serious thoughts of dropping it. I am glad I didn't because it did turn out to be interesting-ish but not incredibly enjoyable. The premise is pretty cool: who wouldn't want to be stranded on an island with a couple of the hottest celebs around? It's very "riches to rags" and that's one I never get tired of. 

The characters were all very obnoxious. I got really annoyed with everyone and that's not quite a good thing to have in a book. The main character, Francesca, was very "I'm-so-much-better-than-everyone". By the way the media has portrayed celebrities in the past, that's not shocking or scandalous. They're DUMB. They are seen as dumb but in this book, WOW! They are hugely dumb and yes, although there are celebrities who are quite daft, there are also many that are not. You can say that I didn't appreciate that image of the celebrities, even if it was for comedic effect. It seemed very stereotypical and naive, which to be frank, was how all the characters seemed.

I don't mean to be rude or harsh but there were things that I did like about the book. And note how I said I was glad that I finished it! Maybe I took it too seriously but hey, now you know! Don't take this book too seriously.

Cheers,
Annie :)

No comments :

Post a Comment