Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger
Published by Poppy; June 5, 2012
Hardcover, 304 pages
Borrowed from library

Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.

Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.


- Description from Goodreads.com




So if you read my review of The DUFF, you'd know that I actually read this book first. And yes, there is an itty bitty Wesley/Bianca spoiler which everyone would probably have guessed anyway, but still, it's nice to be SURE. 

This was thing I liked about the book. All the characters from The DUFF came back and it was really awesome to catch up with them and see how they're doing - kind of like when you haven't seen in a friend in a LONG time! I loved the spotlight on Harrison, he really is such a fun character!!! 

Now, the premise is REALLY weird. So weird that I really didn't think that Kody was going to be able to make it realistic (Remember, this was the first book I had read by Kody!) so I was really surprised when I finished this and I had nothing bad to say about the premise!

Most of Kody's books are about or centred around sex, just like this one was. There is nothing wrong with that - unless you don't like that in a book - but sometimes, too much sex is just bad. Like in The DUFF (which I can't stop comparing to A Midsummer's Nightmare), there was a lot of sex. And not just like the characters had a lot of sex, which they did, but sooo many scenes were of them having sex. It just felt a bit much even if it was about this sexual relationship between Wesley and Bianca. Because of this overload of sex scenes, the development of the characters were kind of rushed, especially towards the end. 

Of course, I had read this book first so I wouldn't have had these thoughts while I was reading but when I went back and compared the two books, I found myself liking this one way more. The characters were stronger, there weren't as many sex scenes - in fact, there were practically none - and everything else was just BETTER.

No comments :

Post a Comment