Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 End of Year Book Survey

Hi guys! It’s Annie and I am so excited to participate in Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner’s awesome End of Year Book Survey. (You can participate and check out her survey here). 

2012 was an awesome book year! I mean, wow! I got more reading done than 2010 and 2011 put together! OK, well, that was an exaggeration but seriously guys, I'm dying! I have never, ever read more than 100 books in a year before, let alone 107

Besides breaking the 100-book milestone, I also launched my wonderfully magnificent book blog, Random Reads (yep, you’re looking at it!). And in doing so, discovered a whole new passion…book blogging! And book blog surfing! 

AND on top of that, I also learned how to use the hold system at the library (Gosh, why did it take me so long??? And how did I manage to find so many books to read without holding them?). 

AND, I was introduced to many of the authors I love and know now…can you believe I didn’t know John Green or David Levithan ‘til this year??? 

See? I wasn't lying when I said 2012 was awesome! And in celebration of such an awesome year (mostly book-wise but everything else-wise too!), I have concocted a wonderfully charming End of Year Book Survey for you to peruse! Enjoy! 

PS. If you are interested in sharing your surveys, feel free to comment below! :) 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best In Books 2012 


Best book you read in 2012?

This is such a hard question…I really am in awe that some people can answer this question without any hesitation. Thank goodness we can break it up into genres…Here are some of my fave books in these categories:

Adult Fiction: All the books I read by Nicholas Sparks, Sophie Kinsella, and The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein, and A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

Contemporary YA: Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan, Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares, Naomi and Ely’s No-Kiss List by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn, and too many others to name…

Dystopian YA: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Sci-fi/Supernatural/Paranormal: The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Fantasy: Dust City by Robert Paul Weston, The Witches by Roald Dahl, The Castle Corona by Sharon Creech, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling, and The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan



Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?

I definitely have to say The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith. I know, I know, this is really cruel but I just didn't…love it. I've read so many reviews for this book and everyone said it was AMAZING and so then, of course I got my hopes up and thought for sure, I’d love it since, well, it’s so me!!! I'm sure you can guess what happened next: I didn't love it. I really wanted to and I actually wondered if I was mentally ill the day I finished since I was totally not expecting such a nonchalant attitude. Like, where’s the squealing and the frantic messaging to friends?????? But no, it wasn't me on an off day. It was me not loving the book. Sorry. :( 



Most surprising book of 2012? 

Haunting Violet, hands down. When I first started reading, I didn’t like it AT ALL. But then I read and read…and read and when I finished, I was like, ‘Colin, Colin, Colinnnnnn <3 <3 <3’. The rest of the book was also superb. *Squeal* Gosh, I get all twitchy even thinking about it!!! Sooooooo goooooooooood.



Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

See, the thing is, I don’t really recommend books since no one really likes the ones I read. *Le gasp* I know! But from the few recommendations I did give out (and remember), Sarah Mlynowski’s Magic in Manhattan series was definitely one of them!



Best series you discovered in 2012?

I discovered the Pretty Little Liars series to quench my thirst for chick-lits and mysteries and the Students Across the Seven Seas books to quench my thirst for chick-lits and travelling.



Favourite new author(s) you discovered in 2012?

Did I mention that I really did not know ANY young adult authors until this year? Yeah, it’s true…and embarrassing. Really, I could go on forever but I’ll make it short-ish and sweet! This list includes but is not limited to: John Green, David Levithan, Elizabeth Eulberg, Sara Shepard, Siobhan Vivian, Sarah Dessen, Susanne Colasanti, Jay Asher, Jennifer E. Smith, and Kody Keplinger.



Best book that was out of your comfort zone/was a new genre for you?

Does it count if it’s a book I had no interest in reading but did anyway??? OK, well, The Broken Blade is one example of a book I had no interest in reading AND was out of my comfort zone. It was about a kid whose dad was a voyageur. One day, his dad accidentally cut his finger off and could not go to work. Because the dad was the only person who earned money in the family, the family would go broke and starving if he didn't go to work so the kid somehow took the place of the dad as a voyageur and everyone was fine with that (?). And then other things happen…

As you can see, this book is definitely not one I would have read unless my teacher forced me to. And I definitely did not like it. This is a prime example of times when teachers have it wrong.

But it’s OK since this year, my teacher got it right, right, right! (BTW, I'm talking about a new teacher now!) We’re currently reading Brave New World which I would never have picked for me but just so happen to LOVE. It’s so creepy and creepy but amazing. 

Lesson #1: When in doubt, stick to the classics!



Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?

All the Pretty Little Liars books I read this year! (Pretty Little Liars – Wanted) I zoomed through these books super fast; I just couldn't put them down! Seriously!!!



Book that you read in 2012 that you are most likely to reread next year?

Like I said in my review, I definitely need to reread The Perks of Being a Wallflower. So that is for sure on my 2013 TBR list. I Hmm…I think that’s about it! Unless there’s one that I missed or one that I will finish soon and would like to reread in which case, I will be sure to update you guys!




Favourite cover of a book you read in 2012?

I adored the cover for The Fault in our Stars by John Green and Naomi and Ely’s No-Kiss List by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn.




Most memorable character in 2012? 

This is super hard!!! I really can’t think of one that really, really stands out – I've read so many books and all their names are just swarming around in my head. I think Anne from the Anne of Green Gables series takes the cake! She is funny and charming and never fails to make me smile! She is everything I aim to be and will forever be one of my most favourite characters EVER!



Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

This one goes to The Fault in Our Stars! Everything about it was so wonderful and so sweet and so sad…it truly is a masterpiece! The quotes were all super awesome too! *Sigh* Truly truly awesome and I'm so glad that I made this the first John Green book I read!



Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It’s truly haunting to know that every single thing you do has an impact, whether huge or small. In high school especially, you deal with a lot of problems such as the ones Hannah went through and it’s tough for everyone. It really changed me a lot in so many indescribable ways. There never ever was a book that impacted me so much as this one. 





Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to FINALLY read?

Moving onto lighter topics, this one HAS to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! I had finished all of the previous six books in 2010 and 2011. Then I skimmed the last book and received a lot of criticism from my friends. And so finally, caving in from peer pressure, I legit finished the last book over this summer! Whew! Now I can proudly call myself a true Potterhead, having read all the books including most of the companion novels (except for Fantastic Beasts) and watched all of the movies!



Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2012?

Drum roll please…From The Fault in our Stars… [My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations]. *Sigh* Pure awesomeness!



Shortest & longest book you read in 2012?

Shortest: Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech
Longest: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling



Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?

The Twilight series because, well... It’s really mean, I know, to bash on a book since the author spends so much time working on it but what if it’s a really bad book? Like very? After I had finished the series, I was dying to talk with one of my friends and we had a very long discussion about well, how bad the series was. So, it isn’t the WORST but let’s be honest, it’s pretty bad. And also I'm a Potterhead so I might be just a BIT biased. A bit.



Favourite relationship from a book you read in 2012?

Hands down, the Sisterhood from Sisterhood Everlasting. The connection between them is so strong. Their friendship is what friends aspire to be. I love it!



Favourite book you read in 2012 from an author you read previously?

I’ve Got Your Number and The Undomestic Goddess by Sophia Kinsella. I loved her Shopaholic series which I devoured in 2011 and was excited to read more of her books!



Best book you read that you read based solely on a recommendation from somebody else?

The History of Love is one I read based solely on a recommendation. I had never heard of it before and my friend – one whose recommendations I trust wholly – suggested it. It turned out to be amazing! Read it!

The Castle Corona was also really good. Suggested by a different friend, it was a good change from my typical contemporary scene.



Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 


New favourite book blog you discovered in 2012?

All of them!!!! Like seriously, did I not say this already? I had no idea book blogs were a thing until this year!!! I know, did I seriously NOT live under a rock??? I have so many faves and so many I am now subscribed to…picking ONE favourite is hard. Really hard. So since I can’t pick my TOP fave, I’ll just sub my first fave for my top fave.

The first book blog I discovered was Frenetic Reader (I think) but I didn’t really love it at first sight. It took some time and same goes with the second book blog I discovered, The Story Siren. However, the third book blog I discovered, Anna Reads, was an instant fave!

But this is totally not legit. Like I said, that was my FIRST fave and if you want a list of all my current faves, just check out my blog roll!



Favourite review that you wrote in 2012?

These are technically six separate reviews but I combined them into one long, master review of the series Secrets of My Hollywood Life. It was a lot of hard work but I really enjoyed writing it. Not because I really liked the series, but because I liked the simplicity and quickness of it. I didn’t have to put in much detail, it was based solely on my thoughts and feelings.



Best discussion you had on your blog?

I tried to hold discussions during NaNo but seeing as I have absolutely NO readers, it didn’t get very far. So, yeah, no good discussions…hopefully, I’ll get some up soon!



Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

I’ve read many good discussions. Like MANY. I really like ones on Steph Su Reads but my absolute fave? The Plight of the Eclectic Blogger by Jamie at the Perpetual Page Turner. I totally understand! Being a teen blogger, it makes sense if I read teen books but I can’t help reading adult books or classics or middle grade books or picture books!



Best event that you participated in?

All the memes! I’m not doing as many…or any at the moment since I’m trying to catch up on my reviews but they were so much fun!!! Hopefully, I’ll find a good way to balance out the two!



Best moment of book blogging in 2012?


When I got my first comment, when I gained two followers in a day (!!!), and when I wrote to one book blogger I absolutely adore (ADORE) to ask about a song she used in a video and she replied (!!!!!).



Most popular post this year on your blog?

My Top Ten Books I’d Want with Me on a Deserted Island. Yay! I loved that one, it was so much fun to do!



Post you wished got a little more love?

Every single one! Well, except for the stupid, random posts that really have nothing to do with books. Being a book blogger is tough and I totally know that but it would be soooo nice if I had some comments on my reviews and some more followers…But I do know that it takes time, as is with anything you do…Still, is it wrong to ask for some more l-o-v-e????



Best bookish discovery?


AH! There are too many to list!!! OK, I’ll go with the most important discoveries…


1. Book blogs, otherwise I totally wouldn’t be doing this right now!
And under the book blog category, memes for getting me some readers! :)

2. Goodreads, to help me organize my ever growing TBR list!

3. Holds at the library, for supplying me with new material to read ALL. THE. TIME.

4. Ereaders, after I got one for my birthday, I’m obsessed with taking it with me during travelling. Really lightens up your load a lot!



Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I finished my 100-book goal this year!!! I actually read 105 so I am very proud…I’m going to aim for 150 next year…Think I can do it?



Looking Ahead… 


One book you didn’t get to in 2012 but will be your number 1 priority in 2013?


One book? ONE BOOK??? Are you trying to kill me? Oh, gosh! This is hard! So many books I want to read… Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I need a non-chick-lit book sometimes…





Book you are most anticipating for 2013?


Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt. It sounds so me!



One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2013?

1. Read 150 books
2. Find a way to balance reviews, memes, and fun stuff in my blogging

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's my survey! I know it was super long...thanks for bearing with me! Comment me your lists and remember to visit The Perpetual Page Turner to participate!

Happy New Year's eve eve eve!

Annie
xoxoxo

2 comments :

  1. I love holds at the library - what would I do without it! And like you, I loved The Hunger Games :-) Congrats on all the blogging milestones in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, holds at the library are quite marvelous! My home library is so tiny! And thank you! Team Peeta all the way!

      Delete