Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan


The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
Heroes of Olympus #1
Published by Hyperion Books for Children; October 12, 2010
Hardcover, 557 pages
Borrowed from library

Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly?

Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out.

Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god.


- Description from Goodreads.com




I actually read this a looong time ago but I slacked on my reviews. Yikes. Another thing I noticed, this is the first fantasy book I have reviewed so far...and probably have read in about a year. Double yikes.

Now, onto my review. Like I said, I've read this book a long time ago so I may be fuzzy about some details. However, I do remember that my overall reaction to this book was not Yay, this was such a good book! Dance, dance, dance! or Argh! This was so bad! Yuck, I just wasted my entire life!. It was more like meh. It wasn't terrible which I suppose isn't a bad thing but it wasn't great either. It was in between, lacklustre.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rick Riordan and his writing style is funny as ever! The humor and the descriptions were awesome and they really made me want to be with Piper, Leo, and Jason as they went along on their adventure. I loved the way Rick tied in Greek and Roman mythology (like, seriously, I have been waiting on that, for, like, ever!) and the extra exposure to all the other monsters and minor gods was awesome! This book even made me want to make a Prezi on Greek Mythology. Can you say W-o-w???

But I found that 300 plus pages was kind of long and it was super hard to remember that the story was set in three days. Like, what? Did I just miss something? And I found myself tres bored toward the end which is never, ever a good thing. 

I might be a bit unfair, though. Because, really, it wasn't bad. Maybe a bit boring but do I have anything else to say besides that? Not really. And anyway, if you are a Percy fan, you'd totally want to stick in for this series! I mean, you can't really let it hang there...'cuz well, Percy!!!!!!!

So definitely, if you love Percy, read this book! It's similar yet different and you'll love the new badass trio!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment