Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Plus a mini-review of Glitches!)

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
The Lunar Chronicles #1
Published by Feiwei & Friends; January 3, 2012
Hardcover, 387 pages
Borrowed from library 

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future


- Description from Goodreads.com



If I were to have an awards ceremony honoring books, Cinder would definitely win the "The Most Original Book Ever!" award. Totally. I mean, seriously, it's about cyborgs, androids, and crazy people who live on the moon set in future China. Does that sound amazing or what? Oh, and did I forget to mention a teeny tiny fact? It's a retelling of Cinderella, which is seriously one of my all time favourite fairy tales. Like, ever. 

Oh my gosh, I actually can't write a review right now because this book was so good. It's a book I totally do not regret reading. Everything was so amazing: the characters, the plot, EVERYTHING, MAN. My head literally exploded from the sheer coolness of this book. I'm pretty sure it would also win the coolest book ever (!) award. 

It was gorgeously written, and very intense. The storyline moves fast and you'll soon be whipped away onto a journey alongside the kick-ass Cinder. Fans of Cinderella will love this book for the similarities to the original fairy tale, but will also admire this book for the differences. Marissa Meyer certainly knows how to write a good book, and I am most definitely going to pick up the next book!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glitches is a short prequel to Cinder by Marissa Meyer. In Cinder, we get some background information on Cinder and how she came to become Adri's official ward. Well, in Glitches, we are told a lot more. We even get to meet Garan!

Since it's such a short story, it's hard to write a review on this. I can say though, that I really appreciate Marissa for writing Glitches because I loved getting to see into Cinder's first few days with Adri. They're so crucial to the way Cinder's life plays out and I felt it was so thoughtful to have that.

I also loved the way the story progressed. It was short, and to the point, but I got every single emotion. The writing was spot-on, and as good as Cinder was. I loved seeing Cinder mess around with her new body and the new functions her body could perform. The moments with Peony were also SO sweet, and I understand their relationship better. I really like the fact that Marissa chose to have one nice stepsister. This isn't related much to Glitches, but it was such a wise decision and makes the story much stronger.

Lovely treat after reading Cinder! It's like eating a bag of chips and feeling like you're in paradise and then getting sad it's over but...then finding there's an extra one clinging onto the bag or your pajamas or the couch. Yes, exactly like that.

No comments :

Post a Comment