Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin 
Mara Dyer #1
Published by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing; September 27, 2011
Hardcover, 452 pages
Borrowed from library

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.


- Description from Goodreads.com



If you've read this book, you know what I'm going to scream about in a minute. If you don't, you will find out soon. But first, before we get to the GOOD part, let me get some actual reviewing in. Despite how many times I DIED while reading this book, it wasn't perfect. 

Warning: if you're looking for a paranormal with hints of romance, don't pick this book up. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is 100% romance with hints of paranormal. While I enjoyed the romance thoroughly (EEEEEE), I loved the bits of paranormal as well and really wished the author would have spent more time on it. The story would have been even better! I also wish that the author would have interspersed all the paranormal bits evenly throughout the book and not just jammed everything at the end. By then, the book was becoming too realistic to handle the weird, supernatural activity. It was akin to the hallucinations Mara had. One minute, I was happily swooning over Noah, the next, giant alligators are biting at him? Hold on girl, what just happened?!?

But besides that, I really had no qualms about this book. Why? Come on, I've already alluded to it! Because of Noah, silly! If you have read this book, you understand. I mean, GOSH is Noah a jerkface but for some reason unknown to me, I liked him. And not just like, LOVE. SWOON. Every time the name Noah was inked on the fine pages of this book, my heart flipped. And by the time I finished this book, my heart flipped twenty thousand times, I died about five hundred times more, and Noah will forever be my BBY. Sorry hon, he's mine now. 

And that cliffhanger at the end? I nearly fainted, I swear. I totally did NOT see that coming and now? Now, I'm crying because what is this going to mean for Mara and Noah? And unfortunately, with THAT ending, I have no choice but to read the next book. Though, let's be honest, I would have read it either way for Noah.

Overall, I thought The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was a great read. I loved the romance though I would have wished to seen a greater emphasis on the supernatural aspects so if you're coming for the supernatural, you might be a bit let down. But if you're coming for Noah, oh my gosh, let's squeal together! 


8 comments :

  1. All I remember in this book is NOAH NOAH NOAH NOAH NOAH NOAH NOAH! Gah I love him! I still haven't picked up the second book because I'm not sure I can handle having to wait for the third one. (June 2014 come already pls) Anyway, great review, Annie! I definitely agree with you- this one's romance with hints of paranormal and not the other way around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cliffhanger was horrible! Thank God I read it after the second book was released. But yeah, Noah was 40/60% for me in this book, but the second one is even better! There's more paranormal stuff and the relationship between Mara and Noah is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I read this book after the second was released too! I don't think I could have handled waiting to read it! But I just know I'm going to gobble up the Evolution as well and the third won't be here for a while so I'm kind of sad about that. *sigh* The troubles of a reader. And yay for more Mara and Noah! I absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I can handle waiting for the third either but on the other hand, I NEED to know what happens next. Thanks for stopping by, Hazel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so here to fangirl with you! I guess Noah can be both of our book boyfriends! Despite some faults, he is so swoon worthy!


    The book as a whole is just so fantastic. I am so glad you love it as much as I do.


    Once you read Evolution, we can continue to fangirl together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My classmate said that whatever she thinks of will happen, and it just sounds so weird to me. Like, "WHUT?!" weird.


    But then, here you are, loving that book and the love interest. *sigh* All these opinions. I must read the book for myself and give the final verdict.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about Mara's supernatural ability before I started the book so it was sooo confusing to try and sort things out! And it is very absurd... But once I figured it out, it was really easy for me to get into the book.


    Of course, like you have said, the only way to know if you like it or not is to read it! I would love to hear what you think if you do decide to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read the Evolution as well! Hopefully, there will be more paranormal. I did like the romance but I also want the paranormal! I have high hopes for that in Book 2 and maybe we'll find out what the heck is going on with Mara and Noah (and their mysterious connection)!

    ReplyDelete