Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg


The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg
Published by Point; January 1, 2010
Hardcover, 290 pages
Borrowed from library

Love is all you need...or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice...and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways...which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...


- Description from Goodreads.com




I've been waiting forever to read Elizabeth's debut novel and I should say that it definitely did not disappoint me!

Firstly, I really like the idea of having a Beatles themed book and I liked how Elizabeth incorporated the song lyrics of various Beatles songs. I never felt overwhelmed by the Beatle-ness of the book which is great because I would've definitely been put off if EVERYTHING was about the Beatles. I did like to laugh at how obsessed Penny's parents were but I understood that there really are some die-hard fans that will do anything for their idols!

Of course, when you swear off dating, you somehow always come across this really cute guy you really like and that's what happened to Penny! Ryan is awesome and awesome and awesome! I really don't know how else to describe him! Elizabeth sure does know how to make a girl swoon over a fictional character!

However, even with all the awesomeness of the Beatles and Ryan put together, the book did not wow me. It was quite normal and I liked it. I definitely would not suggest you go out and buy it immediately but the book is worth a shot. It's cute and funny and cute and it's sure to make you smile!

Great debut, Elizabeth!

BTW, can I just say how much I love the cover???????
And also, this book reminded me soooo much of Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian which is a book you should totally read.

No comments :

Post a Comment