Saturday, April 20, 2013

My Blind Date

Hi guys! Now I know I try to stay away from blogging about my personal life, but I just had to tell you! I went on a blind date! Yes, I know, how exciting right? I just LOVE the surprise factor in a blind date - you have no clue what you're getting yourself into! The adrenaline and the fun! So anyway I checked out some of the options I had and picked the one I thought that I would have the most fun with. It was a fail. Unfortunately, the timing was wrong and I was just so exhausted from everything else, I had no interest in pursuing it further. Which is a shame because if I had, it might have been an amazing experience! I highly recommend going on blind dates - it's a great way to find out some qualities you might be looking for...in a book!

Yes, blind dates with books! I think they're just about the best thing ever! Tons of pictures of these fun blind dates have been circulating around tumblr. I'll give you a quick description of what book blind dates are if you don't know. Book blind dates take place in libraries - usually there's a shelf dedicated to this. The books that are picked for these blind dates are wrapped in paper so you can't see the title or anything. When picking the book you want, you're merely going off of the little blurb the librarian has left you on the wrapping paper.


*Both of these pictures were taken off tumblr.* 

After seeing these things on tumblr, I immediately wished that my library would do this! Because seriously, how fun would that be? And my wish did indeed come true! The next time I went to the library, there was this shelf filled with ten to twelve wrapped books. By the time I had got there, there were only a couple left - none of them sounding like YA novels (to be honest, I think they were all adult novels!). I took the one that sounded the most intriguing. Then, I went home and started unwrapping it...guess what book it was? Before I Fall Asleep by S.J. Watson. I had never heard of S.J. or this book prior to the blind date and after finding it on Goodreads, I was pretty sure I was going to "ride this blind date out" and see how it was. That never happened. 

It's just, for me, I'm a very picky reader. I may find a book interesting but the timing has to be spot on. And unfortunately, Before I Fall Asleep entered the scene at a bad time. There's no doubt in my mind that I would have liked it had I finished it, but the mere size of it was intimidating! It's not particularly big but for a plot so straightforward and simple (or so it seems...), I thought it would be hard for me to really get into it. So we parted!

Don't get me wrong, although I didn't stick with the whole experience, I think, overall, blind dates with books at libraries are so much fun! I think whoever thought of this first should get a medal. Honest. So next time you go to a library and see they have this set up, give it a shot! There's nothing to be afraid of...unlike an actual blind date! Hopefully, you find your new perfect book match! :) Good luck!

4 comments :

  1. This is adorable! Now I wish my library would do this as well. I'd totally be the librarian assigned to write all the blurbs. It's too bad that the blind date didn't work out for you. We always like to think that, were we the librarians in charge of the blind date selections, we would be able to make readers fall in love with books they never expected to like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Tumblr and I think it's such a cute idea. I would love to go to that library! I'm sorry that the book didn't work out for you though but the idea is certainly fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blurbs would be so much fun to do! I think picking the books would also be fun - I've always enjoyed recommending books to other people! And although I didn't get to finish the book, its name is forever engrained in my mind. I'm sure I'll pick it up on a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree! I love the factor of surprise! Unwrapping the book is like Christmas all over again! :D

    ReplyDelete